Raak deel van ‘n Kleingroep en gesels saam oor die reeks: “Address the Mess“
PART 4: Messy-er
When you have a mess to address, first options aren’t usually the best options. Getting back at the person who wronged you, lashing out, taking risky gambles — first options often make messes messier. Doing the right thing is more difficult. Doing the right thing doesn’t offer quick, simple fixes. But it results in a story worth telling, a story that glorifies God. That’s because doing the right thing begins with following Jesus.
- What is one thing in your life, large or small, you wish there was a quick fix for? Why is a quick fix so attractive?
- Talk about a time when you faced a mess and resisted the temptation of a quick fix. What happened?
- Read 1 Samuel 24:1–13. In the passage, it would have been easy for David to assume that God delivered Saul into his hands, but he chose restraint. When you’re addressing a mess, how do you tell the difference between your emotions and desires and God’s will for you?
- During the message, Andy said, “Ignore virtue and you will eventually make a mess.” Do you agree? Why or why not?
- Is it difficult for you to believe that when you choose virtue, God takes responsibility for the outcome of the journey? Why or why not?
- Is there a mess in your life in which you need to opt for virtue over “hurt-you”? If so, what is one thing you can do this week to choose virtue? How can this group support you?
When you’re in the middle of a mess, you’ll be tempted to make that mess messier.
Remember that when you look back on that season of life, the real story won’t be the mess. It will be how you responded to the mess.
Taking matters into your own hands may seem like the quickest fix, but Jesus asks you to follow Him. If you choose to do so, He will write a story in you and through you that is bigger than any mess.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
“May the Lord judge between you and me. And may the Lord avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you.” 1 Samuel 24:12
© North Point Ministries, Your Move with Andy Stanley. All rights reserved.